Dogs are often known as man’s best friend. They are a popular pet and are loyal, kind, and supportive to owners of all ages. Although, considering dogs are animals, they sometimes can be unpredictable, especially if they are not trained properly, have been abused, or feel threatened. In fact, about five million Americans are bitten by dogs each year, many of whom are children. Of those five million, about one in five of those bites needs medical attention.
If a dog bite occurs, not only is it mentally jarring and physically painful, but it can cost the victim a lot financially due to emergency room expenses and doctor visits. Some people’s bites even require surgery and can leave permanent scars behind.
A dog bite can result in many different types of injuries. Depending on the placement of the bite and the size of the dog and/or victim, the dog bite could cause puncture wounds and scars, bruising, broken bones, as well as eye, head, brain, tendon, nerve, and spinal injuries.
What should a victim do after a dog bite occurs?
- Get the dog owner’s contact and insurance information.
- Ask if the dog is up to date on his shots.
- Talk to witnesses of the bite/attack and get their contact information.
- Receive medical treatment right away, especially if the bite is severe.
- File a dog bite report with the proper authorities to legally document the incident, which can help support your case if/when you pursue the dog’s owner for compensation.
- Take photos of the injuries, any torn or bloodied clothing or shoes, and the place of the attack.
- Keep track of the mental and physical pain from the bite to help support your legal pains. Record the level of pain each day, what you must do to treat the pain/wounds, and your emotional state.
- Consult with a Jacksonville personal injury attorney.
There are many reasons a dog may bite a human. Often, it could be an accident (not an attack) as the dog thought it was being playful (from taught behavior). Some attacks/bites are even unavoidable. Whatever the reason, the victim still suffers from the incident.
After the bite occurs, it’s in your best interest to contact a Jacksonville dog bite attorney or a personal injury attorney.
A Jacksonville personal injury lawyer can help you seek compensation for medical expenses from the dog bite. When it comes to a dog bite, monetary compensation may also be awarded in a personal injury case for future surgery costs, pain and suffering, lost wages, and/or mental health counseling.
Hire a Jacksonville Personal Injury Attorney for a Dog Bite
A dog bite can happen at any time, even from a seemingly nice dog. It can be unexpected and traumatic for all involved. You want a skilled attorney on your side to help you deal with the aftermath and injuries from the bite.
Fortunately, our team of personal injury attorneys at Harris Guidi Rosner, P.A. are here to help. We can help you take control of this case, protect your rights, explain all your options, walk you through the process, and get you the best/proper settlement from losses incurred from the dog bite.
You can call us for a free consultation and talk to an attorney the same day and meet directly with the attorney that will handle your case. The law office of Harris Guidi Rosner has been serving the people of Jacksonville and surrounding counties since 1976. Our attorneys have the experience and knowledge that you want working for you at a time of crisis.
To let the Harris Guidi Rosner attorneys assist you with your dog bite injury, call 904-777-7777 or click our Jacksonville Personal Injury Lawyer page. Visit our Dog Bite Lawyer Jacksonville Fl page to learn about our team. We have many years of experience in personal injury law and dog bite claims.
Latest posts by Harris Guidi Rosner (see all)
- 3 Factors to Consider to Become Eligible for a Social Security Disability Benefits - January 14, 2021
- 3 Tips to Making a Worker’s Compensation Case - January 14, 2021
- What to Know About the Element of Causation in Personal Injury Cases - January 6, 2021